Places of Worship

St Mary's Church, Selby *

Client: The Diocese of Leeds Trustee
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9

This project involved the re-ordering the church's interior and the addition of a new Parish Centre to the north side of the church which lies near to Selby town centre. The church dates from the mid 1860's and is listed Grade II.

A number of schemes had been prepared by other firms previously, but had failed to secure Planning Permission or Listed Building Consent. Plans for this extension were developed to reflect the church's forward thinking approach to its community's position and a set of contemporary design proposals were approved by the church's Project Group and the Leeds Diocese Historic Churches Committee.

Design detailed and site stage managed by Kenny Brown, the new addition echoes and reflects the large number of various existing pitched slate roofs and colours of stonework and provides parish facilities which include a large function room, kitchen, toilets, store and office. The centre is arranged with a 'cloister' layout to two sides of an external quadrangle which is accessible via a glazed corridor linking through to the existing north aisle of the church.

The new L-shaped building has predominately rendered walls with plinths and string courses in North Yorkshire sandstone. Timber boarded corridor wall panels and windows are constructed in oak. Finishes internally are mainly painted plaster with large ceramic tiles covering the main access corridor.

After many years of waiting due to previous failed attempts to secure approvals by others, the building project finally came to fruition to provide a much needed and highly cherished addition to the church for its congregation.

Architecture | Creative Conservation | Heritage

Holland Brown Architects Ltd is a company registered in England & Wales with company no: 7223783
VAT registration no: 991742191

© Copyright Holland Brown Architects 2017 Website by Maraid Design